Welcome to the Scruffy City Orchestra 2022 Concerto Competition! Any High School musician in grades 9-12 or adult post-high school to age 25 from East Tennessee may enter in this juried competition. Both solo vocalists and instrumentalists (except piano) are encouraged to participate for a chance to perform their piece with the Scruffy City Orchestra in concert during their Cathedral Concert Series performance at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus on Friday, May 6, 2022.
Registration and Payment:
- Deadline: Midnight on Wednesday, March 23, 2022.
- Only completed online applications will be accepted. Click here to complete the form.
- One entry per person.
- Entry Fee: $50. Payment must be made through PayPal to Scruffy City Orchestra. Click here for payment.
- Your application will be finalized when your payment is received through PayPal and your entry has been accepted.
- Competition will take place on Saturday, March 26, 2022 starting at 1 p.m. in the Orchestra Rehearsal Room at the University of Tennessee, Natalie L. Haslam Music Center, 1741 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville.
- Individual time slots will be e-mailed to each participant after the registration deadline once registration and payment are both received.
- Participants must bring three copies of music to their performance with measure numbers marked every 10 measures for the judges.
- Results will be e-mailed to all entrants within a week of the competition.
- Repertoire performed must be from a standard concerto.
- Music may be a single movement from a concerto or multiple movements or sections for an instrumental or vocal soloist totaling no more than 12 minutes.
- Contestant must be accompanied by piano during competition. Acquiring piano accompaniment is the sole responsibility of the applicant. If you do not have an accompanist or your accompanist cannot attend during your audition, please contact competition chairperson Melissa McCoy (see below) for a list of potential accompanists. It is each applicant’s responsibility to arrange for accompaniment from this point.
- Orchestral parts for the winning entrant must be readily available to Scruffy City Orchestra for purchase, rental or (preferably) through free download (e.g., IMSLP). NOTE: Cost limit on purchase or rental by Scruffy City Orchestra is $100.
- Winner(s) will receive a certificate and the opportunity to solo with Scruffy City Orchestra in their spring concert(s).
- As is possible, winner(s) should be available for two rehearsals plus the dress rehearsal with orchestra at 7 p.m. on Thursday evenings, April 14, 24 and 28 in Cathedral Hall at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 711 Northshore Drive, Knoxville.
- Winner(s) must be available to play with Scruffy City Orchestra in concert on Friday, May 6 at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 711 Northshore Drive, Knoxville as part of the Cathedral’s Cathedral Concert Series. (A potential community outreach concert is also pending but is not yet scheduled.)
- Scruffy City Orchestra reserves the right to decide there will be no winner in any given category.
AUDITION LOCATION AND OTHER DETAILS
Audition Address: Orchestra Rehearsal Room
University of Tennessee, Natalie L. Haslam Music Center
1741 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville
Note: On the corner of Volunteer Blvd. and Pat Head Summit Street. “The Rock” is also located on the corner!
Parking: Free parking is available behind the building in Lot 23.
Directions: Coming into Knoxville on I-40 (from East or West): Take exit 386B for Hwy. 129 South (Alcoa Highway); continue on Hwy. 129 for approximately one mile; take the first exit on the right towards Kingston Pike; from the middle lane, turn left onto Kingston Pike (turns into Cumberland Avenue); turn right at the third stoplight (immediately after the railroad tracks) onto Volunteer Blvd.; follow Volunteer Blvd. straight through the first set of stoplights, and around a sharp curve; turn left at the second set of stoplights onto Pat Head Summit Street to access LOT 23 (directly behind the Natalie L. Haslam Music Center). Enter the double doors and immediately turn right; follow hallway to the end, turn left and first door leads to Orchestra Room.
Pianos, music stands and chairs are available in the rehearsal room. Applicants may arrive early to warm up.
For questions about suitability of repertoire, please contact SCO conductor Ace Edewards at AceEdewards@gmail.com in advance of your registration.
For questions about the competition, please contact Melissa McCoy, SCO Concerto Competition Chairperson, at SCOPublicity@gmail.com.
For more information about the Cathedral Concert Series or to view past performances, visit https://www.shcathedral.org/cathedral-concert-series/.