2020 Scruffy City Orchestra Concerto Competition
Welcome to the 3rd Annual
Scruffy City Orchestra Concerto Competition!
Auditions: Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 22-23, 2020, 1-5 p.m.
Concerts: Thursday, April 23 and Friday May 1, 2020
Fee: $50 via PayPal only
The competition consists of a Youth and Adult category and is open to east Tennessee area musicians from grades 1-12 and to adults up to age 25. A winner will be chosen from each category and will perform with the orchestra in its two spring concerts (see details below). Both solo vocalists and orchestral instrumentalists (except piano) are encouraged to participate for a chance to perform their piece with the Scruffy City Orchestra in concert on April 23 and May 1, 2020. Winners will be chosen subject to qualifying auditions.
Registration and Payment:
- Registration Deadline: Midnight on Friday, Feb. 21, 2020. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Applications will be accepted ONLY though the provided online form. All fields are required (except parent/guardian if you are an independent adult).
- One entry per person.
- Register and choose an audition time on this page. You may select up to three times. You will be contacted via e-mail with a final audition time.
- Once you register and click “submit”, you will be redirected to the PayPal payment page.
- Entry Fee: $50.
- Payment must be made through PayPal.
- Submission will be finalized when your payment is received through PayPal and your entry has been accepted.
- Previous winners may audition provided it has been at least two years since winning, and they play a different piece.
- Competition will take place on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 22-23, 2020 from 1:00-5:00 p.m. at Maryville High School, 825 Lawrence Ave., Maryville, TN 37803.
- Participants must bring three copies of music to their performance with measure numbers marked every 10 measures for the judges.
- Three judges will consist of a Musical Director, Board Members and/or members of Scruffy City Orchestra as well as professional musicians from the local area as needed.
- A warm-up area will be provided prior to each audition.
- Results will be e-mailed to all entrants by Friday, Feb. 28, 2020.
- Please note winners will be chosen subject to qualifying auditions. If no one qualifies, there will be no winner in that category.
- Repertoire performed must be from a standard concerto and can be voice or and orchestral instrument. Unfortunately, we cannot accept piano solos at this time because of space restrictions.
- Music may be a single movement from a concerto or multiple movements or sections for an instrumental or vocal soloist totaling no more than 12 minutes.
- Contestant must be accompanied by piano during competition. PLEASE NOTE: Acquiring piano accompaniment is the sole responsibility of the applicant. SCO does not arrange for or recommend any accompaniment.
- Orchestral parts for the winning entrant must be readily available to Scruffy City Orchestra for purchase, rental or (preferably) through free download (e.g., IMSLP). NOTE: Cost limit on purchase or rental by Scruffy City Orchestra is $100.
- Winners will receive a certificate and the opportunity to solo with Scruffy City Orchestra in two concerts on April 23 and May 1, 2020.
- Winners must be available for two rehearsals plus the dress rehearsal with orchestra to be arranged between 7 and 9 p.m. with conductor Ace Edewards, preferably during the three Thursday rehearsals before the first concert. Rehearsals take place in the Parish Hall at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 711 S. Northshore Drive, Knoxville.
Winner(s) must be available to play with Scruffy City Orchestra in concert on Thursday, April 23, 7:30 p.m. at a location in Knoxville to be determined, plus a second concert on Friday, May 1, 8:00 p.m. at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 711 S. Northshore Drive, Knoxville.
For questions about suitability of repertoire, please contact Matt Wilkinson at email@example.com in advance of your registration. For questions about the competition, please contact Melissa McCoy, SCO Concerto Competition Chairman, at SCOPublicity@gmail.com.