2019 Scruffy City Orchestra Concerto Competition
Welcome to the 2019 Scruffy City Orchestra Concerto Competition! Any school-age child or adult from grade 1 up to the age of 25 from East Tennessee may enter in this juried competition. Auditions take place March 2-3 (see details below). Both solo vocalists and instrumentalists are encouraged to participate for a chance to perform their piece with the Scruffy City Orchestra in concert on May 3 and 10, 2019. This year, two winners will be chosen: one from grades 1- 12 and one from post-high school through age 25, subject to qualifying auditions.
Registration and Payment:
- Registration Deadline: Midnight on Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Applications will be accepted ONLY though the provided online form. All fields are required (except parent/guardian if you are an independent adult).
- One entry per person.
- Register and choose an audition time on this page. Once you register and click “submit”, you will be redirected to the PayPal payment page.
- Entry Fee: $50.
- Payment must be made through PayPal. You do not need to have a PayPal account to make your payment. Select the option to pay without signing up for an account.
- Submission will be finalized when your payment is received through PayPal and your entry has been accepted. T
- Competition will take place on Saturday and Sunday, March 2 & 3, 2019 from 1:00-5:00 p.m. at Maryville High School, 825 Lawrence Ave., Maryville, TN 37803.
- Please schedule your individual time slot on the registration page. T
- Participants must bring three copies of music to their performance with measure numbers marked every 10 measures for the judges.
- Three judges will consist of a Musical Director, Board Members and/or members of Scruffy City Orchestra as well as professional musicians from the local area as needed.
- A warm-up area will be provided prior to each audition.
- Results will be e-mailed to all entrants by Sunday, March 10, 2019.
- Repertoire performed must be from a standard concerto and can be voice or instrument.
- Music may be a single movement from a concerto or multiple movements or sections for an instrumental or vocal soloist totaling no more than 12 minutes.
- Contestant must be accompanied by piano during competition. PLEASE NOTE: Acquiring piano accompaniment is the sole responsibility of the applicant. SCO does not arrange for or recommend any accompaniment.
- Orchestral parts for the winning entrant must be readily available to Scruffy City Orchestra for purchase, rental or (preferably) through free download (e.g., IMSLP). NOTE: Cost limit on purchase or rental by Scruffy City Orchestra is $100.
- Winners will receive a certificate and the opportunity to solo with Scruffy City Orchestra in two concerts on May 3 and 10.
- Winners must be available for two rehearsals plus the dress rehearsal with orchestra on Thursday evenings April 11, 25 and May 2 (dress rehearsal) to be arranged between 7 and 9 p.m., at the Parish Hall at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 711 S. Northshore Drive, Knoxville.
For questions about the competition, please contact Melissa McCoy, SCO Concerto Competition Chairman, at SCOPublicity@gmail.com.
Winner(s) must be available to play with Scruffy City Orchestra in concert on Friday, May 3, 7:30 p.m. at a location in Knoxville to be determined, plus a second concert on Friday, May 10, 7:30 p.m. at The Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 711 S. Northshore Drive, Knoxville.
For questions about suitability of repertoire, please contact Matt Wilkinson at email@example.com in advance of your registration. For questions about the competition, please contact Melissa McCoy, SCO Concerto Competition Chairman, at SCOPublicity@gmail.com.